Signs Of Foundation Damage
1. Basement/Crawl Space MoistureProtecting your basement should be your priority because a damp basement or leaking basement or crawl space moisture can lead to several home issues such as musty smells, mold growth and sagging, uneven floors throughout the house. Any cracks in the basement would be an easy passage for water and moisture, and this can cause severe damage to the foundation.
2. Bugs In The BasementBugs such as centipedes, pillbugs, carpenter ants, roaches, silverfish, earwigs, are drawn to wet basements and often enter through cracks in the foundation.
3. Uneven and Sagging Floors
4. Cracked and Bowed WallsCracked and bowed walls are caused due to three main underlying issues: soil movement under the foundation, hydrostatic pressure, and poor water drainage, While any cracks and bowing in walls can be fixed. There are two types of cracks that you should know to determine the severity of the damage. In comparison, the horizontal cracks are more to be concerned than the vertical cracks. Because horizontal cracks indicate the perimeter of your house foundation is under a lot of pressure, the verticle cracks aren’t mainly to be concerned since drywall runs in the same direction.
5. Crooked Doors
6. Cracked ChimneyCracked chimneys are caused due to poor exterior drainage, or expanding soil can cause foundations to crack and settle. To stabilize the chimney, pilings can be installed as a reinforcement.
7. Standing Water Under The HouseIt is necessary to have a proper drainage system to divert the rainwater away from the house via gutters, properly directed downspouts, and drainage systems. If there is no drainage system or Improper drainage system, it can often cause water to collect under the house, resulting in foundation damages.
8. Vegetation Around The FoundationIt is recommended to avoid planting or to remove the weeds close to the foundations as their roots can grow deep towards the foundation, which is a serious issue and can be a problem for structural integrity; it may result in cracks around the structure.
9. Doors and Windows Frame Separation From StructureIf you notice any dislocated or separation of windows or doors, that is one sign that your foundation is in trouble. It must be resolved through consulting Profesional as soon as possible, and failing to do so may lead the structure into serious problems. You can notice these problems when double doors frequently do not align properly and the doors no longer latch.
10. Bouncing FloorsSometimes in wood flooring, You can feel bouncing while walking, which is caused due to rotten wood, which is one of the alarming signs that your foundation is in danger.
11. Rotten Wood – Piers & BeamsWe must check wooden Piers and beams as they have a high chance of getting affected by moisture. There is also the possibility that these wooden piers and beams can be affected by termites or floods. If you find any rotten wood pier or beam, that could be one of the foundation damage signs, but not always. Also Read
For More Updates like our and join our .